Ok, I have been very bad at keeping up with this blog thing but it's time for an update.
I am currently working as receptionist at Keller Williams Realty and have been for the last 1 1/2 years as many of you may know. Well graduating with a Bachelors in Psychology doesn't offer much in the way of immediate career options without taking a HUGE pay cut or working as a volunteer or simply going to back to school for my Masters. Long story short I have been looking for jobs, still not knowing what I was wanting to do in the interim to get my career started when the perfect opportunity presented itself. My new official title is Market Center Administrator for Keller Williams in our Gilbert office, rather than the Tempe office where I currently work. This location is only about 4 miles farther than my current office, so my commute won't change much.
So what is a Market Center Administrator you ask? Well other similar jobs titles are Chief Operating Officer and sometimes it is referred to as CFO. I will be doing the accounting and bookkeeping for an office with approximately 150 agents. I know, could you think of anything farther from Psychology as accounting???!! However, I will also be managing the Front Desk of the office and dealing with all administrative, financial and office related decisions. The office that I am going to be working at is going through some administrative changes and basically it will be me and the new CEO of the office trying to rebuild it into a productive and happy market center.
I am very excited about this opportunity and I know that it may seem like something that is far from what my interests have been in i.e. psychology, criminology etc. but with some prayers and thought we decided that this is an important and valuable position for me to take in order to develop my career identity as well as my personal identity.
One of the coolest things about me getting this position is the steps I had to take, what I learned, and the competition that I had to face while trying to get the position. The most shocking development that occurred was that of the competition that I faced. At first, I was seemingly the best candidate for the position, when out of the woodwork came the former REGIONAL Market Center Administrator (for the entire SW region of Keller Williams) for the past 15 years. Obviously, my accounting experience is little, in fact I have never had an accounting class in my life and had to use Chris and others to study in order to pass the written accounting test required for the position. So, to have someone apply for the job who has not only done this job for 15 years, but supervised ALL the Market Center Administrators in the South West was intimidating to say the least. But I just continued on and tried to be relaxed and be myself.
Another difficulty I faced was as I was applying for this position I was required to take a simple but effective behavioral placement test to see how much of a match I was with the position. When I first took the test I "flat-lined" meaning I was either emotionally dead, or some various other factors caused my personality profile to be flat.
Well, they wanted to have me take it again because it was likely some outside factor that would have caused the flat-line. My second results showed that I was very well suited for this job. That was all they needed to make the decision to hire me. So I will begin my training on Monday part time while I am still working and helping the other office part time with the transition for the next two weeks and then I will be full time in my new position in the beginning of July!
Again, I am super excited about my new position, not to mention the 20% increase in pay and all the benefits, and consistent schedule, and being on salary!
So yeah, as Chris keeps singing "I'm a big girl now" or...."it's fun to stay at the y M-C-A"....(Market-Center-Administrator) or my favorite, Amanda Cheniae-M C A<--- thanks for that one Amelia!
On the other hand, the puppies are doing well. We are still having to work hard to housebreak them but we have had some recent breakthroughs with them going all on their own to go potty outside! The boys love to go on walks on their leashes, they are such good boys and are really trying to be good, but they still have accidents. We are a little tired since they have been waking us up at least once a night, but last night we had a full good nights sleep for the first time in 4 weeks! Thank goodness!!!! We love them dearly and we have officially become dog people!
Also, for you Non-Arizonan readers, it has become nice and hot, expecting to hit 110 tomorrow, how exciting! The dogs really don't like the heat but I think they are beginning to get used to it...Me, I will never be used to it!
I sure do wish we had a pool though so I could hang out on the weekends and get skin cancer!
Last, but not least, we made the decision to go ahead and purchase a Bowflex so hopefully I will be getting my Bowflex body soon!!!
That is all for now, I will try and post more often...
2 comments:
im sorry I didnt comment yet. I did read your post though. I have all my blogs set on feeds now, so they don't have links right there to comment, so sometimes I forget to click over and do it. anyways, promo very exciting! when do you start?
Haha, I was just being a snot. I have already started training, I am doing part time at my old office and part time at the new office. My last day at the old office will be on the 30th...so, pretty exciting :o)
Post a Comment