Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Frank Lloyd Wright, Gunshots in the night, and Mosquito bites

Labor Day. The lovely 4 day weekend. The holiday stuck at the end of summer to give people an excuse to leave town, party it up, or just relax. My labor day weekend started off with a bang on the last day of work. With the crazy amount of storms blowing through town, the office Internet was down ALL DAY. You know what that means, cranky, crazy people!
The working world really does just come to a screeching halt without the Internet. Pathetic, but a great day for the tech guys to shine and charge 180 bucks an hour to flip a switch.
Well luckily I got to leave a little early to check into a fabulous hotel for the evening otherwise I would have gone mad!!! It was my sister-in-law's birthday and so Friday evening, my husband and I, and his family were meeting at a posh new restaurant in Scottsdale. It just so happens that Chris and I won a free night at the Biltmore Resort in Scottsdale about 10 months ago, so we decided to use it and play it "Scottsdale" for the evening.
The restaurant we went to was WONDERFUL! It was a new place that just opened and is owned by one of Chris's sisters (Jessica) clients-she's a hairdresser in Scottsdale so she is always in the loop. The place was called Noca very charming and quite an original, eclectic menu. Believe it or not, I had the Atlantic Skate, yep that's right, like the "ray." It was delicious! I am not a big fish person, but this was amazing! If you're ever in town, you MUST go here!

Next we adjourned to the Biltmore to have cocktails with Chris's folks at the Wright Bar named after the inspiration of the hotel, Frank Lloyd Wright of course! If you have never been, this hotel is massive and an important bit of Arizona history: http://www.arizonabiltmore.com/
Quite the place, I wish we had been able to stay longer, but we were only "pretending" to be Scottsdale for the night.

The following evening, we invited one of Chris's new friends over to hang out and grab a bite to eat. After eating a yummy pizza at the Native New Yorker (can you tell I'm hungry!) we sat on the back patio letting the dogs run around and enjoying the evening.
At around 10:00 or so, we heard 10-12 gunshots in the distance, semi-automatic, I was told by the guys, professionals on the subject of weapons since they are MEN! Of course I immediately called 911 and reported it. They asked if I had heard screams, thank God I had not! They also asked if they needed to send a patrol car to our place and I said no thank you, you guys have already been by our house in the last 30 days, thanks much!
After the call, it was just on with the evening as usual...This is not right you say?!?! I agree, it stinks.

While we were being serenaded by gunshots we were being suckled on by hundreds of mosquito's. We each have 15-20 bites and they seem to be increasing! The little buggers snuck in on the dogs or something, ahhhhh!!

So, being the paranoid, anxiety ridden hypochondriac person that I am, I am POSITIVE that I will die of West Nile Virus any minute, if I am not shot dead in my bed first.

But really, besides that it was a very nice weekend and I am not as anxious as I seem I'm just very itchy.

3 comments:

Jake and Chelsea said...

so where exactly do you live??

because i don't like gunshots...particularly in my neighborhood.

you are much braver than me!

Amanda Cheniae said...

Yeah....
We live in a city south-west of Phoenix called Laveen. Our particular neighborhood is generally nice and quiet but the surrounding areas are a little less so.
We would probably move if we hadn't just bought the house less than a year ago and were already upside-down on it. So we are stuck here for a few years at least.
Even though our dogs aren't big, they give a good bark so I hope that will keep the riff-raff at bay.
I am not brave, I just have a xanax prescription :-P

Anonymous said...

To add to this concern is the report of several people being shot (one killed) just half a mile away a few nights later. Sorry Amanda.

-Dad