Monday, February 15, 2010

The dog I call "Baxter"

As you may have seen in my previous post, Chris and I are doing a charity walk to benefit homeless pets on Sunday, February 21st.

I had noticed a billboard for the event a while back and thought it would be a fun thing to do since we are working to be more active and involved in our community and just active in general. We also love to do things with our dogs, and they love to do things with us! But this event became much more personal for us last week.
Chris takes the dogs out for a little jog in the mornings before we head off to work. Last Wednesday, as he came to the neighborhood park a little Chihuahua (no collar or tags) started to follow him and the boys. This little guy followed Chris all the way home, and just walked right in the front door.




He was cold, and I could see his little ribs sticking out. He just really wanted to be in our house and be with us and the boys. Unfortunately, we had to go to work and we just didn't feel comfortable leaving the little guy inside all day because we had no idea where he had been.

We found out that animal control didn't open for another hour so to prevent him from running into the street and getting hurt, we put a collar and leash on him and tied him to a tree out front with food and water. We figured as soon as animal control opened we would tell them where to find him and they would pick him up.

Unfortunately we found out that they could not remove an animal from private property without someone to sign for them, and it would take them anywhere from 1 to 8 hours to come by.

Well, Chris being the AMAZING husband that he is went back to the house to pick the little guy up and take him into the shelter. When Chris got home (at least an hour after we had left the dog) he found that the dog was no longer attached to the leash, but he was still just sitting out front by the tree.

:(
Chris dropped him off at the county animal control and we posted fliers all through the neighborhood, emailed them and facebooked. His 72 hour "hold" is now up and he has not been claimed.

Unfortunately the shelter is closed today for the holiday, but tomorrow I will check with them and we are going to work as hard as we can to find him a loving home. We will even foster him, if we can. He was just so sweet and just really wanted to be a part of a family.

Because of this experience, we have so much more passion and reason for taking part in this charity walk and if it's possible, we hope to take "Baxter" (that's the name I gave him) with us to try and find him a home.

Please help Baxter and the thousands of other homeless animals. Even if you can give just $5 dollars, I promise it will make a difference.

http://support.petsmartcharities.org/site/TR/Walk/PetWalk?px=1010778&pg=personal&fr_id=1040

I will post an update on Baxter as soon as I can and let everyone know how he is.

No comments: